Dog Control

Registering Your Dog

  • Registering your dog is compulsory and the following rules set out in the Dog Act must be followed:
  • Register your dog with Council after it is 3 months old and keep it registered.
  • Attach the registration tag and a name tag with your name, address and phone number to your dog’s collar.
  • When outside your own property, keep your dog on a leash at all times.
  • Pick up after your dog if it defecates on the footpath or verge.

Dogs may be registered at the Council Offices. For further information please contact the Shire on 9651 0000.

Cost of Registration

Registration Duration/Type sterilised UNSterilised
1 year $20.00 $50.00
3 years $42.50 $120.00
Full Price Lifetime $100.00 $250.00
*Working Dog 1 year $5.00 $12.50
*Working Dog 3 Years $10.65 $30.00
*Working Dog Lifetime $25.00 $62.50
Pensioners  Dog 1 Year $10.00 $25.00
Pensioners Dog 3 Years $21.25 $60.00
Pensioners Dog Lifetime $50.00 $125.00

* Bona fide Working Dog. i.e. Droving stock

  • To obtain sterilised concessions, owners must produce a Registered Veterinary Surgeon Certificate or a Statutory Declaration.
  • Registrations after 31st May in any year 50% of fees otherwise payable, for that registration year.

Dog Pound

If your dog has been captured and is being kept in the pound you will be required to pay a $103.00 impounding fee before your dog will be released to you.

If your dog requires feeding whilst in the pound there will be a sustenance fee of $36/day.

Additionally, if it is found that your dog is not registered you will also be required to pay for the registration fee applicable and may be liable for a fine.

Wandering at Large

  • The Council may seize dogs found in public places and not held on a leash.
  • The Ranger may enter private property to seize a dog which has been wandering at large.
  • Dogs can be destroyed if unable to be caught.

Noise Control Act

This Act also applies to dogs. Under the Act, an owner may be fined if a dog makes excessive noise.

If you have a problem with your pet’s barking, please contact your local vet and seek advice on how to eliminate the problem.